I developed this event calendar plugin because I wanted a performance calendar to use right here on my own website. In the process I tried to create something that was flexible and easy to use and would work for more than just musicians.
I’ve added a few features since it started…
- beginning and end dates to create multiple-day events
- a “duplicate” function to make it easier if you have a repeating event that you don’t want to re-enter over and over
- a fully functioning WYSIWYG editor for the event details, so you can include stylized text, images and other media right in your calendar – the way WordPress intended
- an RSS feed
- a widget to display a few upcoming events in the sidebar
- ability to display only a specific event, a specific date or a range of dates
…but as a general rule I’ve tried to keep this as simple as possible. I hope anyone who needs to display a list of events on their WordPress site would find this a useful option.
How It Works
Easy as pie! You just install it as you would any other WordPress plugin. This creates a new table in your WordPress database to store the events, and you’ll see the “Event Calendar” menu item in WordPress admin area.
Once it’s installed you can easily add, edit or delete events through the plugin’s Event Calendar editor page. To display the event in any Page or Post on your site you just include the MF Gig Calendar shortcode in the spot where you want the calendar to appear.
Type this shortcode into any Post or Page:
There are some optional variables you can add to this shortcode to display specific events, specific dates, or even a range of dates. Feature an event, create your own monthly or annual archives, feature a tour… Be creative.
I’ve also included a widget that you can use to display a few upcoming events in your sidebar. You can control the number of events to display and the displayed widget title, and you can have the widget link to a page on your site that contains the complete event calendar.
You can find an example of the MF Gig Calendar in use right here on my website.